Mccalls 6696 - the mint ice cream edition
Readers, I'm having a rare experience: I've actually made something I love and want to wear again and again. It's strange, but true. I'm still in shock.
This is my second Mccalls 6696. My first attempt was a wearable toile which I've actually worn more times than I expected (and received a few compliments on) which isn't bad for a rather ropey effort! So I knew the pattern was a winner and all I needed to do was make a few changes to make the next edition extra super duper.
For a start I lowered the hemline slightly so that it finishes just below my knees. I omitted the gathers from the back bodice which gave far too much volume and made the front bodice less fitted. I also made my usual adjustment of narrowing the bodice to fit my small rib-cage. I didn't want it too fitted though - a little breeziness is ok for a shirt dress I think.
What else? Oh, I added a patch pocket to the front, just for the hell of it, and embroidered a little 'B' for 'Boony' (my nickname) on it, not Barbie in case you were wondering. Although I was a big fan of Barbie as a child.... Finishing touches!
But the biggest difference with this dress, which raises it far above the others, is that I actually used the instructions for once! If you follow Karen on Did You Make That? then you'll have seen her latest post about whether you're a sewing Rebel or a GTS (Goody Two Shoes). I'd say that I'm normally a Rebel, but most of my rebellious makes end up a bit rubbishy and unworn because I try to cut corners and change things beyond my capabilities. So I decided to be a GTS this time and follow the instructions and guess what - I love what I made. OK I wasn't a total GTS as I did make some small adjustments, but these were minor, and everything else was done to the letter.
I even decided to pleat the skirt instead of gather it. This was mainly down to the number of Mccalls 6696s online that showed me just how much lovelier a pleated skirt looks. I was particularly persuaded by the versions from Sew Dixie Lou, Sew Manju and Naturlich Kreativ. Praise be the online sewing community - it's an endless bucket of inspiration.
And the fabric is one of my new all time faves: cotton chambray. It caught my eye as I was about to exit Samuel Taylors empty handed on one fruitless fabric hunting expedition. It's a lovely mint ice-cream shade (hens the name), an excellent choice to help me cling on to the last few weeks of summer with a cold lager in hand!
Overall, fabric and GTS habits aside, I think that the success of this make is down to the pattern itself. I haven't seen a single Mccalls 6696 which hasn't looked utterly divine on the wearer. It's a universally flattering dress. I do love shirt dresses - I like the combination of smart and casual, feminine and masculine. They are my style of dress. The kind I could were day in, day out and never feel over/under dressed in. I'll be making Mccalls 6696 again, watch this space.
This is my second Mccalls 6696. My first attempt was a wearable toile which I've actually worn more times than I expected (and received a few compliments on) which isn't bad for a rather ropey effort! So I knew the pattern was a winner and all I needed to do was make a few changes to make the next edition extra super duper.
For a start I lowered the hemline slightly so that it finishes just below my knees. I omitted the gathers from the back bodice which gave far too much volume and made the front bodice less fitted. I also made my usual adjustment of narrowing the bodice to fit my small rib-cage. I didn't want it too fitted though - a little breeziness is ok for a shirt dress I think.
What else? Oh, I added a patch pocket to the front, just for the hell of it, and embroidered a little 'B' for 'Boony' (my nickname) on it, not Barbie in case you were wondering. Although I was a big fan of Barbie as a child.... Finishing touches!
But the biggest difference with this dress, which raises it far above the others, is that I actually used the instructions for once! If you follow Karen on Did You Make That? then you'll have seen her latest post about whether you're a sewing Rebel or a GTS (Goody Two Shoes). I'd say that I'm normally a Rebel, but most of my rebellious makes end up a bit rubbishy and unworn because I try to cut corners and change things beyond my capabilities. So I decided to be a GTS this time and follow the instructions and guess what - I love what I made. OK I wasn't a total GTS as I did make some small adjustments, but these were minor, and everything else was done to the letter.
I even decided to pleat the skirt instead of gather it. This was mainly down to the number of Mccalls 6696s online that showed me just how much lovelier a pleated skirt looks. I was particularly persuaded by the versions from Sew Dixie Lou, Sew Manju and Naturlich Kreativ. Praise be the online sewing community - it's an endless bucket of inspiration.
And the fabric is one of my new all time faves: cotton chambray. It caught my eye as I was about to exit Samuel Taylors empty handed on one fruitless fabric hunting expedition. It's a lovely mint ice-cream shade (hens the name), an excellent choice to help me cling on to the last few weeks of summer with a cold lager in hand!
Overall, fabric and GTS habits aside, I think that the success of this make is down to the pattern itself. I haven't seen a single Mccalls 6696 which hasn't looked utterly divine on the wearer. It's a universally flattering dress. I do love shirt dresses - I like the combination of smart and casual, feminine and masculine. They are my style of dress. The kind I could were day in, day out and never feel over/under dressed in. I'll be making Mccalls 6696 again, watch this space.





This is is really gorgeous! I'm not surprised you love it and want to wear it again and again! It really suits you, and I like the way you're wearing it done up right to the collar. So cute!
ReplyDeleteCheers Jen!
DeleteThis is gorgeous! I love the pleats on the skirt and the collar.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lynne, I spent extra special time on the collar so I'm glad it worked out.
DeleteLooks great and such a pretty colour! I love the pleats on the skirt.
ReplyDeleteThank you Helen :)
DeleteThat is really pretty! I love how the back of it looks, especially the way the gathers, belt loops, and pleats work together. I need something similar!
ReplyDeleteThanks Charity. Well, I'd definitely recommend the pattern if you fancy giving it a go!
DeleteThat dress is an absolute winner!
ReplyDeleteRachael this is gorgeous! You are so clever! x
ReplyDeleteThe fitting, the colour, your smile - everything! Such perfection.
ReplyDeleteThose buttons are gorgeous, and this dress is beautiful on you. Well done!
ReplyDeleteI know this is probably a basic question and I should know the answer but how do you narrow the bodice and omit the gathers? I'm teaching myself dressmaking using books and you tube and have never altered a pattern before sewing. I have the pattern and so eager to start but know it will be too wide... I also have a small ribcage!
ReplyDeleteThanks .
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDo you still have this dress and would you sell ?
ReplyDelete