"" The girl who makes things: Let's hear it for the Liebsters!

Sunday, 30 March 2014

Let's hear it for the Liebsters!

Hello bloggerland, I most certainly wasn't expecting to write a post today, but that was before I was nominated for a Liebster award by Pelly Melly Patterns. Ever heard of the Liebster Award? I hadn't until I was nominated, but I did a bit of research and this is what I found out about this fantastic initiative:

The Liebster award is like a chain letter to help promote less known bloggers. There are a few rules you need to follow:
  1. You need to thank the blogger who tagged you
  2. Answer the 11 questions the blogger asks you
  3. Nominate 11 other bloggers with less than 500 followers
  4. Post 11 questions for your nominees to answer
  5. Tag your nominees in a blog post and let them know they've been nominated 
Depending on how you look at it, the Liebster Award is either an annoying, time consuming chain letter which you'd rather not bother with, or a great way to connect with other bloggers and promote the lesser knowns. I'm certainly delighted to be nominated and answer the questions that Pelly Melly set me. So, here are my answers:

1. What are you working on at the moment?
A cotton dress made out of some fabric my Auntie bought me for my birthday a few weeks ago.

2. Do you sew to relax or to get motivated?
I'd say to relax, but mostly to satisfy the creative itch I sometimes get every now and then. This is usually after I've read a number of sewing blogs and I've got all inspired.

3. What is your favourite type of sewing project?
Definitely making dresses, which is kind of ironic as I hardly ever wear dresses in my every day life. Dresses are satisfying projects as you're basically making a whole outfit in one garment and they tend to be dead easy to make.

4. Who taught you to sew?
I can't exactly remember, I think my Mum taught me the basics of using a sewing machine when I was very young but I was mostly self taught. I think I just experimented an awful lot until I got the hang of it. I also learnt a lot from studying textiles for GCSE at school.

5. What is your favourite colour / fabric to sew with?
Cotton is the easiest fabric to sew, but I'm actually quite a big fan of a really good quality rayon. The fabric I used for this Anna Dress is probably my all time favourite fabric because the drape is so lovely and the pattern has just the right amount of sophistication and drama. I'm quite keen on buying some more for another project.

6. What do you do to relax if you are not sewing?
Reading sewing blogs! Or doing something else creative like baking, cooking, painting etc. I'm also especially fond of wondering around Leeds city center, lost in my own thoughts.

7. Where are you from?
I was born in Birmingham, but I moved to Yorkshire when I was one year old so I'd have to say, I'm really a Yorkshire lass.

8. What aspect of sewing gets on your nerves? (I hate cutting out…)
Definitely darts. I hate fiddling around with them and if you get them wrong it can spoil the whole project.

9. What makes you happy?
Being sufficiently busy (but not stressfully busy) and having lots of little projects on the go. I also love looking forward to things like seeing old friends, going out for dinner, seeing a film or play - I love the anticipation of knowing something good is coming up in the near future.

10. What makes you sad?
Being under occupied.

11. What is your dream job?
Difficult question as I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up! I probably should say something like a designer or dressmaker, but sewing is a my hobby and if it was my full time occupation I might grow to hate it. I'm a newly qualified teacher and at the moment I'm loving it, so maybe a really well paid teacher??

Now for my nominations! I do apologize if I tag anyone with more than 500 followers or anyone who has already been nominated by someone else. I've taken the stats from Bloglovin here, so please don't be offended, you don't have to answer the questions or carry on the chain - this is optional:

52 Creations
Denim Skirts and Other Stuff
Simply E.GO.tistical
Gjeometry
Ozzy Blackbeard
Tybalt-king-of-cats
The Wardrobe Project
The Sewing Notebook
The Reckless Needle
The Garment Farmer
Strange Notions

And here are my questions:
  1. If you could only keep one sewing pattern for the rest of your life which one would it be?
  2. What is your first sewing memory?
  3. Which project are you most proud of?
  4. Apart from yourself, which person do you sew most for?
  5. Indie patterns or the Big Four?
  6. When are you most content?
  7. When are you most frustrated?
  8. If you could put one thing in Room 101 (your pet hate) what would it be and why? Eg, mine would be Hawaiian pizzas...
  9. What would be your last three course meal on earth?
  10. Who is your style inspiration?
  11. What are your sewing goals for this year?
So there we go, I hope you've enjoyed reading my answers and I look forward to reading yours!


6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for nominating me! I love the questions too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachael, thank you! I enjoyed your post, and it's nice to find new blogs to read--I'll check out the rest of your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for nominating me! I am always looking for new blogs to add to my reader. This definitely feels like a fun way to do it! I will probably be adding you to my list once I get started on my own nominations. Thanks again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You so much for the nomination, Rachel! There are also some new (to me) blogs on the list to check out. I'm with you on the dresses thing. It's my favourite project to sew as well, but in my 'real life' I wear trousers the most. Perhaps I will begin wearing dresses a lot more once I get a good arsenal of home sewn dresses in the wardrobe. Thanks again for thinking of me and for dropping by the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for nominating me! I'm really looking forward to answering the questions! Lovely to find your blog and others through this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally I did my Liebster post! Thanks again, nx

    ReplyDelete