"" The girl who makes things: Primavera peplum

Saturday, 5 December 2015

Primavera peplum

For this month's Minerva project I decided to go slightly off-season and make a floral peplum shirt-top. Well, winter only lasts about six weeks here in Portugal so it won't be too long before I can wear it!



The pattern is k4102 from Kwik Sew which is a totally new brand to me. From the outset, the instructions and pattern pieces were very clear and well laid out. I was taken through each stage, step by step with illustrations to help guide me through the process.


Following the size guide on the back of the envelope, I opted for a size small. I wish, however, that I'd gone for extra small instead as the shirt turned out to be way bigger than I'd anticipated. Mid way through sewing I took about an inch off either side to get a closer fit, but I think the waist is still slightly on the larger side and the bodice is a bit too long.



The whole thing came together within one Sunday, making this a fairly quick (or should I say kwik?) project. There aren't too many difficult or fiddly stages, with maybe the neckband being an exception, but nothing a moderately confident sewist can't overcome.



I used some lovely floral cotton from Minerva which was really easy to handle and pressed neatly. I think this top would work well with a silky fabric too as the soft gathers at the side would lend themselves well to it.




If I used this pattern again I'd be tempted to lengthen it into a shirt dress which would be perfect for summer or layered up with tights and a cardi for winter. Overall, though, I'd definitely go back to Kwik Sew patterns again, I'd just have to remember to go a size smaller!


4 comments:

  1. Nice job! I really like the gathers, they give the peplum a nice look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful top, that fabric is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it'd make a great shirt dress! What a lovely shade of colour for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like that on you and a dress would be fab.

    ReplyDelete