"" The girl who makes things: Simple pleasures

Sunday, 29 November 2015

Simple pleasures

This post is looong overdue. While I've been sewing at a steady pace over the past few months, I've been getting behind on my blogging. In fact, it's been difficult keeping up to date with the blogging world in general as I never seem to have any time. That makes me sound awfully important and busy - the truth is I don't think I'm any busier than I was last year, I'm just not using my time very efficiently. I make To Do lists every day but other things always distract me and I end up procrastinating for ages... do you ever have that problem?

Anyway, like I said, my sewing's been progressing steadily and I've managed to churn out a couple of key items. This winter I've decided to really examine my wardrobe  and work out why I wear some things while others get thrown to the back of the wardrobe. The objective here is to reduce the amount I waste on clothes - that's time and money. We'll call it mindful making. What I've realised is that I'm very sensitive to the details in things. If something's the wrong length, too tight, too baggy, slightly misshapen, I find that I can't feel comfortable in it, especially if I've made it myself. And that's the key here: comfort. 


So, while on my closet crussade I spent some time going through the clothes I already have and found that I had space for a few basic items: a work skirt, work trousers and a jersey dress. A lot of my wardrobe revolves around my smart-casual work style so these pieces were pretty essential. Today, I'm starting with my jersey dress, which I have to say, has got a huge amount of wear already. 


I used the Deer and Doe Plantain T-shirt pattern which I lengthend into a dress. The fabric came from Feira dos Tecidos at a bargainess 5€. I've now got my head around cutting jersey fabric (which always used to give me headaches) and found that life got a lot easier when I started using pattern weights instead of pins, which tend to bunch up the fabric. The whole thing came together within an afternoon.



The devil is in the detail here: I'm a fairly lanky human being with long, monkeyish arms which tend to over extend most rtw garments. With this in mind, I added about an inch to the sleeves which has improved my comfort levels enormously.



I'd like to make this dress again in a slightly more interesting fabric, however, I'm quite happy with how simple it is. It's a versatile piece which can be worn with most of my accessories. So far, so good - roll on more mindful making.


8 comments:

  1. That looks SO comfy! You've done an awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fit and so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I've been contemplating making a similar dress as well because versatility and practicality are just two things you can never have too much of in your closet! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie, yes, I'd definitely recommend making one

      Delete
  4. Very simple, versatile and practical. I would wear this all of the time.

    ReplyDelete