"" The girl who makes things: October 2015

Saturday, 3 October 2015

A green button down skirt

Ola amigos! I hope all is well with you today. I'm very happy to say that I'm back in Lisbon and yes, the sun is shining while I type.

I'm also very pleased to present my first Minerva make, a green button down skirt:


By nature, I'm a very indecisive person. In fact, it's quite a joke in my family that every time we go to a restaurant I have to look at the menu the night before so that I can decide on what to eat. Therefore, when it came to deciding on what to sew for my first Minerva make I was quite over faced by choice.


In the end I had to narrow things down and make a plan. As we're now heading into Autumn, I decided to make a mini skirt which could be worn with or without tights. I've noticed a lot of button down mini skirts on the high street this season and I think I've slowly grown an appreciation for them. I opted for New Look 6346 which I thought best suited the look I was going for.


One thing I love about Autumn is the rich colour palette. I decided to go for bottle green this time and I was really pleased when the fabric arrived - it was exactly the right shade. The pattern suits a number of different fabric types, but I decided to choose this heavier weight cotton drill for the colder months. The fabric was easy to handle and pressed beautifully under the steam of an iron. I debated ordering metal buttons to close the front of the skirt, but I'm pretty happy with the choice I made of these wood-effect buttons - I think they go with everything.


The pattern is very straightforward. Once I'd cut out all the pieces it took about two hours to assemble and finish - a nice little afternoon project. Due to the A-line shape, I didn't have any fit issues and cut out a straight size 12 which fit perfectly at the time I made it. Since returning to Portugal, however, I've lost a little bit of weight so I'd probably pinch in the waist if I made this skirt again.


As the skirt is so simple, I decided to add a bit of interest to the front panels by stitching on patch pockets. These were super easy to draft. I just cut out two 6 inch squares (with seam allowances) and curved off the bottom corners. Next I pressed in the seam allowances, hemmed the top edge and top stitched the pockets on to the skirt. 


All in all, this was a quick and super easy project. I can see myself wearing this skirt with black tights, boots a scarf and jumper as the temperature cools down. It's a good little trans-seasonal piece.