"" The girl who makes things: Pineapple Express Alexandria Pants

Sunday, 15 March 2015

Pineapple Express Alexandria Pants

Hello and happy Sunday everyone! I hope you had a long, chilled weekend. I certainly did. The weather is hotting up here in Portugal. Temperatures are averaging the low 20s and people everywhere are traipsing around Lisbon in their shorts, T-shirts and sandals. I've been lucky enough to spend some time outside in the sun lately. Last weekend we went to Lisbon's national park, Monsanto, for a picnic and it was a glorious feeling to be out and about in bare legs and sandals at the beginning of March. Sadly, though, the weather isn't forecast to last and we'll be back to rain and drizzle next week. Sad face.


That hasn't me stopped thinking about summer clothes though. I love the change of season and the opportunity for new sewing projects. So it was with great interest that I followed the updates on Named's new pattern collection Ticket. I wasn't dissapointed. The collection is full of modern, sporty summer clothes, perfect for seasonal sewing. As it was my birthday last Monday I decided to treat myself to a pattern and chose the Alexandria pants.


This was my first Named PDF pattern so I made a couple of errors. Firstly I clicked on the download too many times and blocked myself out. The fustration! No worries though, the Named team emailed me straight back with new links. Next, I didn't check my printer was printing to scale. Only after I'd printed out the entire pattern and taped it together did I realise that the test block was slightly smaller than intended. As it was too late to go back, I decided to cut out a more generous seam allowance and so far, I seem to have got away with it.


Apparently Named used pattern testers for this collection and you can really tell. The instructions were thorough. Although I'm a fairly experienced sewist and tend to flout the instructions, there were points when I needed to go back and check. I found that all the information was either there or on the website. Also, there was no need to trace the pattern pieces as they didn't overlap. I've heard that Named aren't overlapping anymore on all smaller garments which is a plus for me as I'm pretty lazy and like to cut straight out.



Construction wise the trousers were quite straight forward. The only problems I had were with my fabric choice. I used a rather light and shifty viscose which moved around as I tried to cut it. The result was a boomerang shaped waistband which I had to interface back into a rectangle. The fabric also creases a lot, but seeing as the style is fairly relaxed I don't think this is a problem.


Fabric issues aside, just look at the print - pineapples! Nothing says summer like pineapples. How could I ever be sad with pineapples on my legs? Someone get me a pina colada!


So, those are my birthday trews. I spent a lot of my birthday making them and loved every moment. How about you? Are you sewing for summer?

16 comments:

  1. Love them! I like your short hair too. I've just finished a Grainline Alder for spring, sadly it's reverted back to about six degrees here in London now though. Booo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! I'd completely forgotten about my hair - it's a bit of a Louis Lane cerca 90s bob but I love it. So easy to manage. Yes, Alder is in my pipeline for sewing too. Can't wait!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful fabric! Very envious of your weather, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! Ha, don't think you'd be so envious when it pours down with rain next week. I want summer back!

      Delete
  3. Love the pineapples! And the tantalizing slice of summer - it't still cold in Toronto, but I do have these very pants on my list for spring sewing! I might make them out of sweatshirt fleece for ultimate lounging, and try something more fluid later. When it's hopefully warmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe! Yes, these pants would work really well with sweatshirt fabric too - I was thinking of doing the same thing

      Delete
  4. It's no where near summery here in Cumbria, so I've just made a coat! I did exactly the same as you with a named pattern, so I reprinted, taped etc! Only to find that my coat was a bit on the big size! I hate PDFs. I'd much prefer to pay the extra and avoid the work. Love your trousers, I like tha Named skirt and top, maybe when it feels a bit warmer here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags, yes PDFs can be a pain like that! I hope the coat turned out ok in the end. We live and learn!

      Delete
  5. They look so sweet! Very suitable for spring! I'm a little stuck with what to sew, as I don't know how hot it'll be here in Shanghai this summer ... we moved in September so missed the most of it! I'm thinking easy breezy dresses but as I ride my bike a lot, I don't the skirts flying around my ears! Trousers like this might be a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These trousers would be good for cycling. Or even a jumpsuit/playsuit if you like wearing dresses?

      Delete
  6. Ooh I love them! The print and the silhouette are everything I want to be wearing these days! Our weather has been much like yours I think - warm and sunny for a brief, glorious spell, then drizzly and cooler for a long stretch... But all in all the temperature is warming up, so I'm definitely thinking about spring/summer sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the queen of amazing fabrics. Where do you get your lovely fabrics from? x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the queen of amazing fabrics. Where do you get your lovely fabrics from? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the queen of amazing fabrics. Where do you get your lovely fabrics from? x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fabric is the bees knees and works perfectly as trews. You look super chic strutting around portugal

    ReplyDelete
  11. The print is amazing! And the pants look great! Super comfy and relaxed but cool :)

    ReplyDelete