"" The girl who makes things: Odds and ends

Monday, 30 March 2015

Odds and ends

Olá lovelies, happy Monday! I hope you've had a good weekend. I've had a lovely few days off, most of which I spent wandering around Lisbon in the sunshine and drinking coffee al fresco. Next week is the Easter holidays and the temperatures are set to rise. All is good in the world.

I have a two for the price one post for you today: two makes in one post. I've called this 'Odds and ends' as the clothes are made out of random off-cuts which I didn't know what to do with. Now that I've made them into something I'm quite pleased with the results and they've become my two most wearable pieces. It's almost as if I planned it!


So let's start with the 'odd', aka the Plantain T-shirt. How nice is this fabric? As you may already know, Feira dos Tecidos is now my stalwart, go-to fabric shop of choice in Lisbon. Seriously, it's my new best friend. The thing I love about it (aside from the rolls of fabulous fabric) is the 'bargain buckets'. They contain odd pieces of fabric cut off from the main rolls due to small imperfections and sold at discounted prices. I found this aztec-y print on sale for just 3€. I didn't have any particular project in mind, but Deer and Doe's Plantain T-shirt was one of the few patterns I brought with me to Portugal and was a good match.


This is my second Plantain. I didn't make any size adjustments as the pattern fits pretty well and knit fabric is fairly forgiving. Stitching up was an absolute breeze. The only tricky part was pattern matching the print, which has never been my strongest suit. But hey, look, I think I just about did it!


Now for the 'end', aka the stretch skirt. I used this fabric to make my Brigitte dress a few weeks ago. I bought too much so I still had a big chunk of it left which I didn't know what to do with. I already had a stretchy skirt which I bought from H&M but it was waaaay too short and tight to be work appropriate, so I decided to use my last scrap of fabric to make a stretchy skirt for work. I love replacing my wardrobe with handmades. I'm totally gearing up for Me Made May.


I used the skirt pattern from Vogue 8766 as I knew it would fit me well. The only adjustment I made was to add 4cm to the top of the skirt to add a 2cm wide piece of elastic. I then folded it down and hand tacked it to the inside of the skirt to make it secure. I also omitted the zip, stitched up the back seam and hand picked the hem.


All in all, these two items took practically no time to make and I wear them all the time. Total value for time and effort. I've also discovered a new found love for knit fabric- why did I spend so many years afraid of it?? It's so easy to use.

So, how about you? Have you ever accidentally made something you love? 

6 comments:

  1. Very cool outfit! I love making t-shirts from those little sub-1m bargain bin finds, a shop near me called Rolls and Rems has a brilliant rummage bin for fun prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the satisifaction of making something from a bargain too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely outfit and what a bargain. I've made 7 Mabel's so far and wear them most days for work. Comfy and smart, plays so easy to wash and they only costa out £5-10 each. Still jealous of your weather, still raining and windy in Cumbria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags, hope the weather cheers up soon!

      Delete
  3. For me, being a shortie, small pieces of fabric can go a long way! Love the quick projects too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great makes, I'm sure you get tons of wear out them. Isn't the plantain pattern brilliant?! I need to make another (and blog my first!)

    ReplyDelete