"" The girl who makes things: Wedding post - the dresses revealed

Friday, 1 August 2014

Wedding post - the dresses revealed

Welcome to the wedding of the year - well in my corner of the universe anyway! Yes, on the 19th July I watched my only sister get married and it was, no hyperbole intended, amazing.

But the thing I really want to blog about today is the dresses. As you may or may not know, the on going saga of my life recently has been making the bridesmaids dresses for the wedding. It was touch and go from May on wards for at least two of the dresses, one of which I had to relinquish to a professional dressmaker. For the full deets see my previous post on the subject. I did, however, do the finishing touches for all the dresses so my input was there on all of them in the end!

So without further ado, here are the dresses:


I used the circle skirt pattern from Vogue 8766 for all of the dresses. I also used the bodice pattern for the green and purple dresses. This made things much more straight forward in terms of construction. I love how much Vogue 8766 is like a basic block and it's so easily adaptable - you could potentially turn it into any style of dress. I'll definitely continue using it.


Recognise the bodice for the blue dress? Yep, that's right, it's a BHL Anna hack!


I used a little bit of lace, which I got from the Minerva Crafts meet up in June, on three of the dresses. The green dress was overlaid with light white tulle and I stitched a cream ribbon on to the waistband for a clean finish. All the dresses were fully lined from top to bottom and the seams were overlocked.


I was going to wait until the professional photographer's photos came through but they still haven't yet arrived so I've had to use the ones which my boyfriend and I took on the day. They're not perfect, but you do get some corkers like this bizarre picture of my Dad. What the hell is he doing??

While we're on the subject of dresses I should probably also mention where the bride got her dress. Well, it was actually designed and handmade by a dressmaker. After closely inspecting the handwork I can honestly say that I was dead impressed and totally realised how far I have to go to get to professional standard. Every piece of lace had been cut out and hand stitched on to the tulle overlay. The effect was incredibly beautiful.


And it wasn't just the bridesmaid's dresses and bride's dress which were handmade. My Mum made 150m of multi coloured bunting, the three tiered wedding cake and organised the entire reception which was held at my parents house. You could say it was a handmade wedding, which I guess suits the kind of family we are. And it was perfect.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! All the dresses are beautiful! I am in awe of you for taking this on, it gives me the shivers just thinking about it. It looks like everybody had a brilliant day, and your sister's dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thanks Lynne! It wasn't that bad... haha

      Delete
  2. Well done! I like the additions of lace. They all turned out beautifully... I particularly like the blue one. And seeing how the professional dressmakers do things like lace always makes my efforts look pitiful, so I understand feeling a bit awed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charity, I'm glad you know how I feel :)

      Delete
  3. Rachel! OMG! I am so happy to see this post! Please share the other photos when you get them. All of the dresses are amazing, I love how unique each one is, and that you made them all for your sisters wedding. I bet you felt so proud and loved being able to contribute to such a special day. Glad you enjoyed it, and hope I get to chat to you about it more soon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahoooo so pleased they all turned out beautifully for you!

    ReplyDelete