"" The girl who makes things: Second time lucky

Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Second time lucky

I've become a bit obsessed with nailing the Plantain top from Deer&Doe. After my first attempt which turned out to be a bit on the small side, I decided to give knits another go and make a plain and simple Plantain. 


The fabric is off-white cotton jersey from Leeds Market. I have a hole in my wardrobe crying out for some basics and so far this year I've managed not to buy any new clothes. As time goes on it gets harder to break this vow, to the point where I find it almost impossible to imagine purchasing RTW clothes. Am I changing? I'm not sure how long I can hold out!

Anyway, I was in need of a white T-shirt so this seemed the perfect choice. The fabric was much stretchier than the pink paisley and I was careful not to make the seam allowances too big. The result? A much better fit. I even added some elbow patches for extra decoration.

I still had some pink paisley jersey leftover from my previous Plantain. I'm getting very particular about waste and hate having fabric scraps hanging around the flat so I decided to make a gathered mini skirt.


It was dead simple. Just a case of sewing two rectangles together, folding and stitching the top edge over and then running a piece of elastic through it. And as jersey doesn't fray, so no need to hem!








3 comments:

  1. Really cute skirt! A great idea to use up scraps! Your plantain looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, it was so easy to make - would recommend it to anyone.

      Delete
  2. Lovely outfit :) The skirt fabric is so pretty and the top looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete