"" The girl who makes things: Welcome to Georgia

Sunday, 5 January 2014

Welcome to Georgia

Brrrrrr, is it me or does it feel like winter officially starts in January? I am COLD. All this chilly weather is making me want to snuggle up next to the radiator and hibernate until April.

I've never been particularly good in winter, it's too cold and too dark. To counter the blues, I've given myself a bit of dedicated selfish sewing time and here's my first make of 2014, it's the Georgia dress from By Hand London.


The pattern was a Christmas pressie from my parents (ok, I ordered the pattern myself, had it sent to their house and invoiced my mother, but I still acted surprised on Christmas day). I don't tend to go for the body-con/bombshell style dress, but I was persuaded by this one. I've seen some great versions and completely fell in love. Especially with this fecking awesome one by Reena Louise.


This was meant to be my New Year's Eve party dress and I was sewing right up to the deadline, but I didn't finish it on time. It was the choice between rushing it and doing a hatchet job, or taking my time and creating something I'd actually wear. And it will have use, I'll wear it for my work leaving do instead. Karaoke is on cards, that's all I'm saying...


With this being such a close fit design, I decided to go carefully and make a toile before I cut into my fabric. I would really recommend doing this.

I graded a size 8 from the bust into a size 10 at the waist and hips. Compared to the pattern model, I'm proportionally longer in the body so all this had to be altered in the skirt pattern and even after sewing up the final item, I had to make adjustments.

If I was to be critical, I'd say that the bodice is still slightly too big. I can just about get away with it if I wear a super padded bra though.


I bought the fabric from Goldhawk Road, my first ever visit! I was absolutely over awed by the choice and spent about three hours trying to decide on fabric. The fabric eventually bought was stretch cotton satin, a really good choice for this kind of dress as you can make a tighter fit and still give yourself room for ease.

There was only one tricky bit to contend with which was how to join the skirt point to the bodice. I found it so tricky, I omitted the point from the back of the skirt, just to save myself the hassle. If you want my advice, read the pattern instructions very carefully at this stage.


So that's it for Georgia, I'm pretty pleased with the result. It's good to make something frivolous at this time of year. Everyone needs a reason to lift the winter blues, and I think this make was definitely what I needed. Now I just need to look for a good fur coat to wear over the top and keep out the cooooooold.

8 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous on you, love the colour blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about this pattern! I'm really not much of a body-con person or even a dress person, but I love how this one looks. As always, I really like your color blocking choices, and it the fit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan, I hope you make your version soon, I can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  3. Lovely! The colour blocking is really nice and the dress overall is beautiful. I'm not much of a body-con person either, but you are persuading me on this dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Megan, I do hope you make it! It goes together so nicely

      Delete
  4. Sooooo lovely and chic! And very good move taking your time, I have a little graveyard of badly finished dresses that I basically don't wear because I rushed and made them badly. We hear ya on the tricky bit being joining the skirt point to the bodice, but no fear, the sewalong (to be announced soon) will cover this in soooper (ahem) anal detail. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte, I'm looking forward to the sewalong!

      Delete