"" The girl who makes things: Hogmanay!

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Hogmanay!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you've had a wonderful start to the year, whether it meant wrapping yourself up in a duvet and nursing a hangover, going for a new year run, seeing friends and relatives, or just doing whatever it is you wanted to spend your time doing. In my opinion 1st January is a write off, the 2nd is where it begins.

I went up to Scotland for New Year, not ideal considering I had to work New Year's Eve and 2nd January, but I had a great time, even if it was short. We stayed in a holiday house in the tiny village of Moffat (just south of Glasgow). We had haggis for dinner, played a few games, watched a bit of Jools Holland, as is tradition, and then hit the champagne at 12. I didn't realise how tired I was until after a couple of beers and a glass of champagne I zonked out around midnight. To be fair I probably spent more time travelling than conscious in Scotland, but, oh well, glad I went.

Anyway, that's all over now and the 2014 is well under way. I've enjoyed reading other blogger's posts about new year sewlutions and pledges, but I'm afraid there's not much I can promise for this year. 2014 is going to be pretty crazy for me, what with leaving my job and teaching abroad. To be honest, I'm shit scared and pretty stressed with it all, so adding a load of pressure to something I enjoy doing would just stress me out further. With this in mind I have only two resolutions: to keep blogging and keep sewing as much as I can. Anything else is a bonus.

Ok, so there might be one more thing I can add to this. I'd really like to take more beautiful shots of the things I make. One thing I've realised about reading other people's blogs is how important it is to present your subject matter. I've been reading a few tips from Lucky Lucille about blog photography, and the importance of choosing location, altering lighting etc. I'm hoping to put her advice into practice this year. This might also mean I need to improve my modelling skills and give my photographer (ahem, boyfriend) a few more directions.

So that's that for 2014. Keep plodding and make improvements where necessary. I have one make which I'll blog about in my next post, but for now, adios!


2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Sounds like you had fun. I look forward to seeing and hearing about whatever you do manage to make! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen and happy new year to you too :)

    ReplyDelete