"" The girl who makes things: Colour block coat

Sunday, 17 November 2013

Colour block coat

Oh it's been a while since I've posted anything, but this is for good reason - I've been making my first ever winter coat, and here it is!


I am ecstatic about this make for a few reasons. The main reason is that coats and jackets are possibly my favourite items of clothing. Every winter I seem to buy a new coat, even though I don't need one and that's not counting the number of jackets I seem to collect. This year I decided to make my own coat for a change. I did have to put a restraining order on myself not to buy a coat as well though.


So down to business, what did I use? Well, the pattern is Burda Young 7020 and the fabric is navy blue and camel wool coating. As you can see, I made a couple of alterations to the pattern - colour block band around the bottom and patch pockets instead of invisible.




The lining is leopard print sateen. Originally I wanted navy blue lining with white polka dots, but my choice was limited when I looked in the fabric shop. I thought about going for a plain coloured lining, but then I saw this fabric and it just seemed to fit. Everyone loves a bit of Bet Lynch don't they?



I have to say, this was one of the most technically challenging projects I've done. Fitting, lining, working with coating fabric all took me a bit longer than usual, but I'm so glad I managed to finish this.



I'll write a bit more about how I designed the coat in my next blog post, and maybe take some better photos when the light's good. I know, I know, I'm doing things in reverse, but I was just so excited to get this coat out there!

So how about you? Have you made a winter coat this year?

20 comments:

  1. Ack, this looks so great! The fit looks really, really nice - cozy but fitted. I'm excited to read your construction post and am going to make myself sew a coat muslin today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, can't wait to see what you make!

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely fantastic. Not only brilliantly constructed, but such great taste in pattern choice, fabric choice and colour choice. You must be elated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great coat and wonderful inspiration. I really must get my butt into gear and start on mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd definitely recommend making a coat, it's so worth while. It's the only thing you'll wear every day!

      Delete
  4. This is incredible! I love the colour-blocking, and it looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is really inspired! Such a creative and well put together design. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was so much fun to make!

      Delete
  6. This is ace. Now I'll definitely know if I see you around town as I'll spot your awesome coat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't be afraid to grab me in the street! Why is there not some Leeds sewing circle or something...

      Delete
  7. Wowsers! Your coat is gorgeous! I love the collar, and colours are lovely together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the collar was fiddly but well worth giving a go.

      Delete
  8. Your coat look great! I especially love the pockets and colour combos! I didn't have the guts to sew a coat yet, hope I'll get there soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so cute! I really love the colour blocking. It really makes the coat stand out, but still look classic and well made. Great job!

    I want to try making a coat this winter, but I am super intimidated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw thanks Megan, you should definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete